6. The Crimson Pyramid
Source of the Image
The Crimson Pyramid is the third largest Pyramid of Egypt constructed during the reign of the Pharaoh Sneferu. It stands at a height of 104 meters and is also referred to as the Northern Pyramid. It derives its name from the fact that it is wholly constructed from red limestone. The remnants of the Mortuary Temple can be found on the eastern side of the Pyramid.
Location: Giza Governorate, EgyptTimings: Any time of the dayEntry Fee: Free
7. Pyramid of Meidum
Source of the Image
The Pyramid of Meidum was constructed for the Pharaoh Huni but collapsed due to a significant design flaw. To enter the Pyramid, one must pass through the robber’s tunnel, which is very narrow and cramped, but the chamber it connects to is rather spacious. However, only 3 steps or layers are visible at present. The Pyramid is situated 100 km southeast of Cairo. This Pyramid represents a transitional form between the step and smooth-sided pyramids. A Mortuary Temple can be found on the eastern side of the Pyramid.
Location: Beni Suef GovernorateTimings: Any time of the dayEntry Fee: Free
17 Enigmatic Places To Visit In Egypt In 2022 That Will Make You Pack Your Bags Right Away!
8. Pyramid of Unas
Source of the Image
Pyramid of Unas was constructed in the 24th Century in the Saqqara Plateau for Pharaoh Unas. It stood 43 meters tall when erected but today it is in a state of debris. This is an extremely significant pyramid as it symbolized the inaugural among the Pyramids to have the hymns engraved on its wall. This Pyramid was rediscovered in the 19th Century and a corpse was retrieved from the remains.
Location: Saqqara, GizaTimings: Any time of dayEntry Fee: No charge
9. Pyramid of Sahure
The Pyramid of Sahure was erected in the Abusir region near the Temple of the Sun. Even though this Pyramid now lies in ruins, archaeologists have excavated some intriguing artifacts that make it deserving of a visit. The blocks employed to construct this Pyramid were found to be of a distinct quality compared to those used in the 5th dynasty. Pink granite portcullis has been uncovered beneath the remains, leading to a small vestibule. The open courtyard of the Mortuary Temple to the east of the Pyramid comprises 16 monolithic pink granite columns resembling groves of palm trees.
Location: Half an hour from CairoTimings: Any time of dayEntry Fee: free
10 Best Honeymoon Places In Egypt For A Romantic Stint By The Pyramids In 2022
10. Pyramid of Ahmose
The Pyramid of Ahmose is the final recognized Egyptian Pyramid. It was constructed as a cenotaph devoted to Pharaoh Ahmose utilizing mud bricks instead of stone blocks in the 18th Dynasty, which ultimately led to its collapse. After the 12th Dynasty, Pharaohs were interred inside concealed underground tombs in locations like The Valley of the Kings.
Location: AbydosTimings: Any time of dayEntry Fee: No charge
Some Fascinating Facts About The Pyramids Of Egypt:
- The Egyptian Pyramids were constructed to serve as the regal tombs to the Pharaohs. There personal belongings and necessities for their afterlife were placed around their tombs. The Pyramids faced the North and the associated Mortuary Temples were built to the east side of the pyramids linking it with the realm of the deceased according to the Egyptian Mythology.
The configuration of the Pyramid represents the sunlight beams and the levels with the deceased climb to the afterlife. The Pyramids of Egypt symbolize benben – a mound of earth that emerged from the primordial waters on which the Deity stood and created mankind in their mythology.
- The Pyramids of Giza were constructed for the Pharaoh Khufu and his relatives in the 4th Dynasty around 2580-2560 BC. The three Pyramids face North, South, and East purposely to represent the three stars of Orion’s belt. Egyptians associated themselves with the constellation and considered Osiris as their Deity of the afterlife. The temperature inside of the pyramids is always 20 degree Celsius.
- Four Kinds of Pyramids have been discovered until now.
The step/Layer Pyramid
The Bent Pyramid
The Red Pyramid and
The Great Pyramids of Giza.
Tips To Follow When In Egypt
- Wear comfortable footwear. Cover up to avoid sunburns. Carry plenty of fluids.
- The Pyramids can be reached by tour buses or private taxi. Visitors can take a camel ride to the pyramids.
- Toilets and a restaurant are available at the Sphinx complex.
- Do not miss the Sound and light show at the Pyramids of Giza.
- The optimal time to visit the pyramids of Egypt is in the winters.
Recently Discovered 4,400-Year Old Tomb In Egypt Is Stealing Giza’s Thunder Big Time
Egyptians were one of the most advanced and influential civilizations of all time. For a good glimpse at the ancient Egyptian civilization, visit the Pyramids of Egypt. While most of the historical artifacts have been stolen and the rest have been transported to various museums around the world, they are the wonders worth checking out on an Egyptian vacay.
For our editorial codes of conduct and copyright disclaimer, please click here.
Looking To Book A Holiday Package?
Book memorable holidays on TravelTriangle with 650 verified travel agents for 65 domestic and international destinations.